Today, facility painters must be masters at multi-tasking. Far beyond the scope of their original training, education, and experience.
We must be ready to fine-tune our skills to tackle the task staring at us. We must be able to expand our own job descriptions to meet the changing needs of the property, and the people that we serve.
We must be willing to learn – and do – whatever it takes to be a professional at our job, and to leave a professional job behind.
We must be able to perform at least the following range of tasks in a consistently professional, timely, appropriate, and cost-conscious manner.
BOB the PAINTER’S CHECKLIST – Circa 2014 *
- Application and completion of all aspects of painting trade functions.
- Repair and maintenance of assortment of painting tools and equipment.
- Basic property maintenance, repair and replacement: carpentry, drywall, electrical, HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, tile work, etc.
- Customer service – team, guest, visitor, stakeholder, community.
- Team building – including mentoring and support.
- Communication – oral, written, mobile, hand-held, telecom.
- Computer and multi-media operations – software, data, ISP, networking.
- Estimating, purchasing, budgeting, cost-containment.
- Presentations and meetings; training and education; career development.
- Recordkeeping, data entry, justification, filing, and reporting.
- Shop management – including inventory control, and safe disposal.
- Compliance and standards-bearing: MSDS, OSHA, EPA, ADA, HAZMAT, UBC.
- Departmental and organizational transitioning and reconfiguring.
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving – promptly, effectively, safely.
- Community and global relations – public relations and volunteerism.
* This checklist gets modified at least once a year – and as needed during the year.
We must be open to and excited about change. In every area of our own jobs, as well as those of others.
It is a great time to be a painter and decorator. The opportunities for learning, growth, advancement, and diversity are tremendous.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Often, capability is a matter of being willing to do what’s needed when needed – and being able to anticipate what will be needed!” RDH Thanks for visiting “Painting with Bob.”